Wednesday, August 3, 2011

bittersweet

in the fall of 1998, i was a student at fresno state.
i was in a voice class with a friend, scottie.
he invited me to go on a retreat with his church.

the speaker on the retreat was a guy from texas, brad,
and his new wife, jen.

on the retreat, i quickly clicked with jen & another girl, stacy.
we left the weekend as fast friends.

the following summer, brad & jen moved to fresno 
to take on the college ministry at northwest.

after years of searching for a church, i finally felt like i was home.
the remnant ministry 
became college life
which eventually became the well.

jeff & i married in 2001, and 10 months into marriage felt called to ministry in davis.
but a piece of our hearts were always at the well.

in 2005, we had the opportunity to return to fresno,
and jeff got his dream job.
leading the youth ministry for the well.

for the past 6 years
(but really 12)
the well has been our home.
the people our family.

our heart lives here.

we moved into our house 2 years ago. 
 i had already figured out which rooms the kids would have when they were teenagers.
jeff was going to get old and gray doing ministry alongside his friends.


i had it all planned out.

sometimes God has different plans.

this summer, God put an opportunity in front of us.
a whole new set of plans.
a new life.

at first, i said no way.
i kicked my feet.
i said it would not happen.

but then, i decided to pray.
to still my mind and listen-
listen to the One who is truly in control of my life.

i don't know that i have ever prayed this much in my entire life,
so earnestly sought the Lord's direction.

 i am confident that He has provided that for us.

it is with a myriad of emotions that i tell you-

we are moving.

jeff has accepted a position at rockharbor church in costa mesa.
(i will post more details soon... but not today.)
i am so excited for him.
for us.
for what God is going to do.

as excited as i am for the future
is how broken-hearted i am to leave.

my church
my family
my friends
my home
my support
my heart

it is all here.

but God is calling us to go.
and i want to be faithful to where He is leading
because i know His plans are always so much better than mine.

so i ask for your prayers
as we try to sell our home
find a new one
pack up our lives
finish up two ministries
enroll jackson in a new kindergarten 
(and try to prepare him for change)
and say 'see you soon' to the people who we love so much

sometimes life is bittersweet.
but i'm thankful for a God who is faithful.

always.

11 comments:

  1. Praying! We love you, Bachmans!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Shara, May God bless this new branch of your journey! I will pray for all five of you awesome Bachmans as you make the transition. We love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so excited for you! So Cal has awesome SpEd opportunities as well!!! We would move back if we could... just for Matthew to get the support they have there. We will pray for you and hope the transition is as smooth as possible!
    Much Love,
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love you and your family so much, I dont necessarily like this, but i know that its whats best, and you guys are going to be the best family ever in Costa Mesa peeps are gonna be like "wuddup cool new fam, your friends with that runner girl michelle huh?" then you will shake your heads and walk away slowly. hahahah jk. anyway back to the serious stuff, even though my heart continues to ache and break and all of the above to see you leave. I am happy and excited for you and to see what God has in store for Jeff. Im happy for the people that will get to do life with you each and every day, they are lucky, and they best recognize that they are lucky. cause you are an AMAZING family, and I couldnt have imagined these past 4 years without you guys in my life. thank you for everything you have done for me, and everything that you guys are, and thank you for everything you will continue to do. get that blow up mattress ready for me. Cause i want to visit as much as possible, cause sorry your stuck with me foreverrr mwuahaha(evil laugh) k peace. I love you.all of you.for reals.for better or worse. jk were not married. hahah

    ReplyDelete
  5. I attended rock harbor in college and it is a great place. I wish you guys the best of luck and you will be missed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sad day :( I'm really going to miss seeing you and your kiddo's and serving under and along side the amazing guy that you are married to.

    I can honestly say that Jeff has helped shape who I am now... In my relationship with God and in the way I lead my Jr. Highers.

    Onward and upward friends.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sad to see you go yet so thrilled to see what God has in store for you guys! His will is not always the easiest, but it is always the very best! You have both touched so many lives here and I know He will be glorified through you there too. I will be praying for your family as you prepare for the transition to Costa Mesa. I will certainly miss seeing Jackson at church! Love you guys! Love, Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  8. Definitely so sad to see your family leave. We were so hoping that Jeff would follow the boys through high school. We are excited for you and understand that you should follow God's plan. What amazing things will happen in Costa Mesa!! I'm sitting here on the balcony looking out over the vast ocean and thinking about how you will be living by the beach. It will be a wonderful adventure for your family. Hugs and Love and many blessings!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. we both know i have been exactly there. which brought me here. i know exactly how to be praying for you and your family. please let me know if you need anything.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you so very much for your ministry to our children ! You made us feel soo welcomed when we first came to the church. Always stay open handed in your relationship with God. He gives and alows to be taken away. I will bless the Lord at all times, His praise shall continuely be in my mouth.

    ReplyDelete
  11. cannot express the love i have in my heart for you bachmans. xoxo

    ReplyDelete